Saturday 4 July 2020

What’s this not more spinning on the Mepps

The Mepps didn’t disappoint again today with Chub, Perch and Brown Trout taking the spinner. Again out on Somerset Frome downstream of the previous weekends exploits. Big surprise today wasn’t the Perch but an absolute beast of a Brownie. It launched around the river like a Salmon and in the net I could see was my biggest Brown Trout for some years. Conservatively over 17 inches and 2.5lb of muscle with full on kype jaw.



Plenty of action after the trout from Chub and Perch but just not in the same league. Another cracking days lure fishing. Kind of feel odd I didn’t catch the trout on fly but I would have never fly fished that section of river for trout so it would have never come to pass!





5 comments:

  1. Lovely fish mate, well done! I did some similar spinning on my home stretch of the Avon a few weeks past using a small Ondex (sworn by them for 30yrs) and caught two of my best pike ever, around 10lb and perfect. Luckily was using braid as my little light outfit struggled but did the job. 😁👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neglected blog for a bit hence late reply. I have had my Best season yet spinning particularly Chub and Perch which are abundant in Somerset Frome. Nick where do fish on Avon taken the kayak out at Keynsham but disappointed just a few small Perch recently?

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    I've been fishing the Bristol Frome on the fly this year since moving to Bristol from Usk. Turns out it is a little gem (had some great days and some decent trout and was amazed to see a proper mayfly hatch).

    Aside from a friend of mine who showed me some of the stretches, I am yet to see another fly angler on the river.

    Anyway, I thought I'd drop you a line in the hope that you might be willing to show me a little more of the river. I often just turn up and fish, but am never quite sure if I am allowed to be there or who owns the land!

    No pressure of course, but as I saw the blog I thought it worth throwing out a quick message.

    Cheers

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see that my email address didn't appear on that post - alexlloyd2901@gmail.com if you are up for a trip at some point. I haven't done much on the lures, but have a few soft plastics and a light lure rod as well as the fly tackle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will contact you, happy to walk the river ready for next year and tell you what I know. Fly has alway bought me more success on the Bristol Frome than spinner. Some great wild trout, dace, roach and occasional Chub will all take fly.

    ReplyDelete