Sunday 14 August 2016

Day on Midford Brook with the ATAA

Glorious August day saw me guesting at Avon & Tributaries Angling Assoc. (ATAA) Midford Brook with Red. Started day with some kick sampling, something I have never engaged in before but quite addictive. Took me back to my pond dipping days, I was soon getting my eye in on the invertebrates that were turning up. The catch included Maylfy nymphs, Stonefly nymphs, Caseless Caddis, Cased Caddis and large amounts of Baetis together with numerous Bullheads. I have to say it made me wonder what the fish saw in my nymphs as most in the bucket would look dwarfed by my standard Size 14's. Met a good bunch of guys all keen to keep their special piece of the environment in the best possible condition not only for the fish but for all the other wildlife of the valley.


Afterwards Red took me a mile or so downstream and we made our way slowly upstream fishing likely pools and runs. Red in what seemed like his first two casts caught Grayling, one a particularly nice fish for this brook.


It took a while for me to get a fish in the net, after a few missed rises and hooks shaken, I finally broke the duck with a nice wild Brownie. From then on it was Rainbows all the way running us up and down sections of this little river. Most of my fish came to a GRHE although I had several rises and lost fish on the dry.



Great day out with some good company and good fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment