Saturday 22 December 2018

In praise of Chub on the Somerset Frome

Well I had checked the river levels in the morning and although high the rivers were falling. So I headed off to the lower Somerset Frome with Pike fly rod and back up float gear for Chub in hand. On arriving I could see the river was up and coloured unfishable from a fly or lure perspective. I reached for the stick float and put my faith in the Chub. The day was bright after a period of prolonged heavy rain. I set off for miles trying every back eddy on the stick float feeding each swim with liquidized bread. The current was racing through and I was conscious I needed to get my cheese paste to penetrate the depths. It was tough to start and I only had size 6 hooks so it was go big or go home. Lots of bites from smaller fish, I guessed they were Dace or possibly Roach, but I was not connecting. I had avoided the weir pools thinking the fast flowing water would not be the best in such conditions. This was a bad move as in the last hour I fished the tail of one of the biggest weir pools. The expanse of water was actually dissipating the flow and the float was running nicely at about 5' deep on the edge of the crease to the main channel. Within a few minutes first Chub of about 3lb was on the bank after a lunging fight with the fish breaking water several times. I caught four Chub all within the 2.5lb-3lb bracket on a generous lump of cheese paste and would have continued if I hadn't run out of bait. The Chub were in fine condition and I have to say this stretch of Avon Tributaries Somerset Frome is a cracking fishery.










No comments:

Post a Comment