Saturday 27 June 2020

Something different getting to grips with the Mepps

Well whilst enjoying the trout fly fishing I was really looking to to tap into some coarse fishing now the season had opened if not on fly then lure fishing. I wanted to catch primarily Chub but both Perch and Pike would not disappoint me. My favourite spot on Somerset Frome was the location and met up with Red who I had also sounded out for a change to the usual fly gear. Within a couple of casts with the Mepps XD I’d had a knock but lost the Perch close to the net. After moving upstream I found a hollow around a submerged tree and dropped the spinner in after a powerful riffle. As I retrieved from the willow branches a large fished launched at the lure and gave one hell of scrap. In the net it was a lovely Chub getting on for 4lbs.


Red had caught a number of smaller Chub in a small fast run. As we worked upstream next fish was a fine Perch netted by Red followed by another by me, both fish nearing if not 2lb. The action was non stop with both Perch and Chub taking the Mepps with abandonment.




We then drove a mile or so downstream to try another section of the Somerset Frome where we knew both Chub and Perch were abundant. After a couple of nice 1/2 lb Perch I hooked an absolute monster that took me all over the pool I was fishing. In the net I could see it was over 3lb easily my PB. As I stared in awe at the fish it buried itself in the net and found a hole in the seam I was just not aware of so no photo unfortunately but I have the memory! As the day wore on my final fish was a nice jack Pike in a shallow run. Epic days lure fishing, the Mepps is king!



No comments:

Post a Comment