Friday 12 August 2011

Carp on the fly again....

Still not an easy task put persistence paid off. My focus was the carp on my artificial foam flies. After initial success a couple of weeks previous in not ideal conditions I thought the mild evening tonight might make life easier but hooking a carp took some time. Little and often with the bread and then place your fly between the last remaining flakes. After a couple of Rainbows hammered my fly finally a nice common took it. I wasn't prepared for the fight that ensued as it really tested my 8 weight rod and forearm. Stripping line from the reel I was glad I hadn't compromised on the 10lb fluro leader. A pristeen Common Carp of around 6lb was netted. After this although I had several rises from carp none were hooked. I changed to a new design made of a smaller amount of foam but like a shipmans (segmented down the shank) with antron either end. The carp just weren't fooled but the trout went mad for it. Three Rainbows returned and several more hooked and lost - if anything they were a bit of a nuisance!

No comments:

Post a Comment