Monday 10 October 2011

Some flies for thought..my bankers for River Chew and Bristol Frome

I noticed I blog about fish I've caught but rarely give much info on my tactics. I am not a match the hatch fisherman although I do observe what is on offer and will attempt to look for a similar size on some occasions. Many times in the past I have seen Mayfly coming off only to see fish turn down an exact imitation but for the fish to take a generic Klink on the next cast. Consequently I like to keep things simple and it works for me. If using the NZ style I will fish a size bigger on the Klink than that of the nymph. Usually a 12 dry and 14 nymph or a 14 and 16. NZ style hits all the right points for me - it presents the dry nicely in the water, it often results in a second take after a missed rise or tug on the nymph, and it allows you to search the water.

My olive Klink

Various goldhead nymphs

Anyway here are my flies - not perfect (I am self taught), no doubt downright ugly to some, and pretty simple but the fish don't seem to mind. The Klink is olive floss with flashbou rib, ginger Metz hackle (wound at least 4 times). The nymphs are 2.3mm goldhead (not tungsten), wired body either exposed or dubbed with olive dubbing, flashbou rib if dubbed and hare's ear tail. If a brassie nymph I will dub with black behind the bead for contrast and a bit of movement. In the past I have used fine paint brush fibres for the tail (cheap B&Q ones) and have seen no noticeable preference other than if you use too many fibres they might prevent hooking as they are stiffer.  These cost me pennies to make - beads in bulk from ebay jewellery, copper wire again hobby/beaded jewellery store or old cable, a pack of fine flashbou will last years for ribbing. Main outlay is Metz saddle but it is worth the investment for ease of tying and numbers of feathers. These flies have accounted for 80% of my river fish on the local streams around Bristol. The only variation I would make for chalkstream fishing is to downsize.

No comments:

Post a Comment