Saturday 12 May 2012

Lower and Upper Chew visit

Fished Lower and Upper Chew. Weather was clear and sunny but not warm for this time of year. The Lower Chew was carrying a fair bit of water and was coloured particularly in the pools. I gave it a go and caught a small Brownie on the nymph. Lots of fly life coming off - I think some were Yellow May but I stand to be corrected. 
Then moved on to Upper Chew which was incredibly clear with at least a third more water coming through than normal. The gravel had been washed clean and the stream looked vibrant. Unfortunately the fish seemed a bit conspicuous by their absence. I caught one small Rainbow which I recognised from my last visit. Saw no rises at all even though the odd Mayfly was drifting over the water.


Female Banded Demoiselle


1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic blog, which I found from the KAA website. The Chew is a fantastic stream which I've recently started fishing, if a little challenging in places. I've been fishing the Bathampton section north of the bridge at Compton Dando which is good, but I wanted to fish south of the EA flume, so joined the Keynshamm AA. Do you fish the stretch from the bridge south towards Keynsham, called Uplands?

    ReplyDelete